Business Development Manager
Salary: Basic of £42,000- £55,000 depending on experience plus a generous bonus scheme based on hitting agreed targets. Options of Childcare Vouchers, bicycle scheme and Private Health Scheme
Hours: 9.00am – 5.30pm Monday – Friday
Holiday: 23 days a year plus Bank holidays, rising to 27 days after 4 years service
Reporting to: Deputy Managing Director
Supported by: Client Development Executive, and a Client Delivery Manager
About the Company
PromoVeritas are Europe’s leading independent promotional verification specialists – we use our care, knowledge, expertise and passion for detail to ensure that all types of prize promotion are shaped and delivered fairly, securely and in compliance with the law and general best practice.
So on a day to day basis we are busy advising and influencing the development of clients’ promotions, judging competitions, running prize draws, implementing ‘Willy Wonka’ style instant wins and overseeing voting for major TV shows. Our client base includes Cadbury, Subway, O2, Pepsi, Walkers, ASOS, Barclays, American Express, Footlocker, Pringles, Kellogg’s and over 200 more with a large part of work coming from projects run overseas – 60+ countries in 2019 alone.
Established in 2002, the company is located in Pinner, North London (adjacent to the Tube station andi about 25 minutes from Baker Street on the Metropolitan line). The team of 30 includes inhouse lawyers, project managers and client managers.
Due to continued expansion – over 20% pa despite Covid 19 – we are seeking to fill an important and challenging role.
The role of the Business Development Manager:
You will be responsible for driving new business sales within the company through a combination of:
- ‘New New’ – outbound contact with new brand and agency contacts obtained from a variety of sources
- ‘Going Wide’ – outbound to new contacts within existing clients, so we deal with Wispa brand manager, but not the Boost brand manager. The power of referrals and going wide
- Reactivation – looking at old or lapsed clients that are no longer allocated to a Client Manager, but merit re-contacting
- Inbound enquiries – via our extensive marketing and solid reputation we are blessed with a significant number of new enquiries.
Your role will be to create and nurture all opportunities, inbound or outbound, and take them to the point of first proposal through to delivery and then repeat. You will have dedicated administrative support to maximise your efficiency and handle back office functions, then when a client has become established, it will be migrated to the Client Relationship Team who will continue client growth.
Primary description of the role:
- Full responsibility for the achievement of agreed monthly sales targets (based on gross margin)
- Agree with Senior Management the strategic direction of the New Business effort: target sectors, key messaging, timings etc and then deliver it – consistently and in line with brand values.
- Generate business from new and lapsed clients through a combination of extensive outbound calling, targeted emails, marketing events and general business networking.
- Aim is to have 7-10 meetings a week, driven by 20+ decision making contacts a day
- Converting inbound opportunities from both agencies and brands and encourage repeat business.
- Working with the Client Delivery Manager, progress leads to first proposal stage and then ensure won projects are delivered on time and to a high standard.
- Conducting outbound telephone calls (approx. 100 DMC’s a week) and face to face meetings with clients about potential and ongoing projects.
- Organise and if necessary present at Compliance training sessions – a very successful lead gen opportunity. Target is two a week.
- Be responsible for achieving a half year Gross Margin target split between New New, Lapsed Clients and Inbound. We use GM not revenue, because a lot of our work is managing prizes at no or low margin so we exclude it from target setting.
- Efficient use of company systems. We use Paprika agency software for CRM, proposal drafting and financial control plus access to latest industry databases.
The Job Split:
We anticipate that the role will be split as follows:
- 25% : Dealing with inbound enquiries. This includes helping shape the promotion, formulating the brief, meetings about projects and maintaining regular contact with the client and internal teams to ensure the projects proceed well.
- 40% : New New acquisition through a combination of calls, emails, marketing initiatives, compliance training sessions etc
- 30% : New business focused on reactivating Lapsed clients and ‘Going Wide’ with existing clients. Aim is to ensure that we stay top of their minds and that consider us when promotions crop up in the future. Also includes tracking ‘movers’ – those who leave a client and are a potential prospect at their new place of work and push for referrals.
- 5% : Learning and personal development. You will be expected to learn the laws and regulations for promotions, work with the client development team, client management team, operations teams, legal and management to understand how promotions can be run and what risks could arise from your projects so as to advise the client on alternatives.
This person must:
- Be an excellent communicator, both over the phone, face to face and in writing as well as internally with colleagues. Solid teamworker.
- Have first class client relationship skills and able to work at all levels, from Director level to Junior Account Executive
- Able to spot opportunities, at 30 feet and adapt pitch to client needs, on the ‘fly’.
- Have a history of consultative selling success backed up by real sales number
- Ability to absorb complicated content (basics on promotional compliance) and know how to adapt it to the needs of the client. We are ‘shapers’, focusing on broad principles and also the small details
- Have the gravitas and experience to act as a consultant, advising on solutions, not directly selling
- Strong presentation skills with ability to deliver group presentations with confidence
- Be driven by sales success, motivated by targets, but not at the expense of company values or service. Display the hunger and desire to succeed.
- Have at least 4 years’ experience in a consultative sales role. We are a service, a solution to a problem many clients do not even know they have. We are not a commodity or a product.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- Tenacious and brave. Willing to pick up the phone and make pro-active sales calls.
- Be able to learn complex country laws and regulation and then repeat with authority and confidence
- At least 3 A-Levels at C or above or equivalent in qualifications/experience.
- Have an active interest in marketing and the world around them and consumer behaviour
- Able to manage multiple projects and leads at once to tight deadlines.
- Be a good critical thinker that is able to foresee potential issues and advise clients on the right way forward.
- 23 days a year plus Bank holidays (increasing to 27 days with 4 years service)
- Bonus day off for your birthday (after completion of probationary service)
- Generous bi-annual Bonus scheme – typical payouts of 10-20% of salary
- Free Tastecard+ providing discounts on restaurants & entertainment
- Private Health Scheme (contributory)
- Regular company social events e.g. Crystal Maze experience and Henley Regatta
If you meet the requirements for the role and are looking to join an innovative and rapidly growing business, then please apply now! For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0203 325 6000.