Running Promotions in Poland
This brief, but informative guide to running promotions in Poland will highlight the many complex legal features currently in force within the Eastern European country. The eighth biggest European country, with a population more than double the Netherlands and triple that of Belgium, Poland represents a large, and rather untapped market with major potential. PromoVeritas has previously helped many brands administer their promotions there, affording us invaluable insight into the obstacles that companies need awareness of. Our legal counsel, Jorja Knight, takes us through the key aspects of running promotions in Poland.
To provide the clearest guide, let’s break down the different types of promotions into their 3 distinct groups; game of chance (random selection or prize draw), game of skill (competition) and instant wins. Additionally, gifts & rewards will be discussed to present a detailed picture of how promotional marketing is carried out in Poland.
Game of Chance or prize draws
- Promotions of this kind are heavily regulated in Poland. If you are lucky enough to get approval, there is nevertheless a registration process to go through, which our team here are most capable of helping with.
Game of Skill or competition
- Here, unlike many other countries, a First Past the Post promotion – one where the winners are the first ‘x’ number of entrants – is deemed to be a game of skill.
- As well as this, competitions in Poland, in contrast to prize draws, are generally perceived to be easier to run.
- These types of promotions have a strict requirement under Polish law that the terms & conditions have to be in Polish. Such a pitfall is just one reason why PromoVeritas’ unique expertise is essential to any business considering running a promotion in Poland.
Gifts and Rewards
- Are you able to offer a free gift with a purchased item? Here the law is rather ambiguous – providing subjective wording on the limit of the gift’s value in relation to the purchase. However, there is a solution. PromoVeritas’ experience in the region ensures that we are able to navigate any potential problems on this front.