A Guide to Running Promotions In France
When running a successful and compliant promotion in France, there are some key factors that contribute to this and should be known to all marketers.
- Prize Draws, Competitions, Gift With Purchase and Instant Wins can all be run, linked to purchase or not.
- If a purchase is required, the cost must not be inflated for the duration and purpose of the promotion, as this will be deemed unfair.
- If there is a cost associated with participation of a promotion, consumers in France must be able to claim/redeem back that cost, including internet access costs, typically up to a value of approximately €1.
- Best practice to lodge the T&Cs of a promotion with the ‘Huissier’, allow 10 days.
- Promoters may have to pay social taxes. Tax advice should be sought.
- There are no restrictions on prizes (except already controlled products such as alcohol, tobacco).
- French judges have held that linking acceptance of a prize with the use of the winner’s personal information, such as a photograph/being used in publicity, is an abusive clause and cannot be enforced.